Additional University of Iowa flood stories are moving to fyi, the University's faculty and staff news site. For flood recovery information and resources, visit the UI Flood Recovery Site.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

"Thinking of Iowa"

Tom Swick, travel writer for the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, notes in his blog that news of the flood triggered memories of a trip to Iowa:

"I skipped through Cedar Rapids but stopped in Iowa City, which quickly became one of my favorite college towns, with one of my favorite independent bookstores, Prairie Lights. I assume the bookstore's OK, but I heard about the people forming a chain to move books out of the first floor of the university library, where I spent a quiet June afternoon just three summers ago.

Everywhere I went in Iowa, on both my trips, people lived up to their reputation as friendly, considerate, decent - the kind of folks you'd like to have as neighbors. I always thought that if foreigners really wanted to learn about this country, they should visit Iowa."

No comments: