Additional University of Iowa flood stories are moving to fyi, the University's faculty and staff news site. For flood recovery information and resources, visit the UI Flood Recovery Site.

Monday, June 30, 2008

"Community is the best way to deal with disaster"

Christopher Clark, a graduate student in political science displaced from Hawkeye Court Apartments, writes:

"The week of the flood, I had just returned from spending 12 days at home in Kansas City, Missouri. It is always nice to see family, but I missed having my own space.

Initially, I did not think that the flood would affect me. When I learned that I had to evacuate my apartment, the flood became personal, instead of being this abstract thing that was influencing the lives of thousands around me.

I called my pastor's family, and they graciously agreed to let me stay with them. I called my mother to get advice on what I should pack. I packed up my Social Security card, tax information, and bank statements. I took pictures of loved ones, my vast music and movie collection, and clothes to last me a couple of weeks. As I looked at all the material things around me, it occurred to me that what really matters in life is not the stuff that I have, but rather the relationships that I have. It is one of those moments that will remain with me for a long time.

Over the next few days, I sat with my pastor's family and watched as people's homes floated away. I saw the extensive damage to Cedar Rapids and I realized that thousands of people's lives would be forever changed by this natural disaster. We were able to grieve together through the flood, which I found to be the best way of dealing with that emotion.

Initially, I tried not to feel negatively about my situation. Nonetheless, as I talked more with people here in Iowa and with family at home, I realized that it was fine for me to be upset, frustrated, and irritated. I had been displaced because of the flood, so it was not abnormal for me to be bothered.

Through the flood, I was able to relate to how strangers in a new town must feel. I was out of my comfort zone. I was dependent on other people for my wellbeing. I was vulnerable. I could have been prideful and obstinate, choosing to sleep in my car instead of staying at my pastor's home. Instead, I chose to accept the hospitality, community, and love that were extended to me.

After this experience, I am going to extend myself to someone the next chance I have to do so. I know that my experience with this flood serves a greater purpose, and I think part of that is to learn to empathize with strangers.

This experience has taught me a number of things. The first is that we have little control over our lives. A second lesson is that material things are less important than relationships. Things do not define me. On the other hand, I need relationships with people, and those very much define me. A third lesson is that community is the best way to deal with disaster. There is inexplicable value in experiencing difficulty with other people—I could not imagine dealing with this alone.

The fourth and final lesson is that any one of us, at any time, could become the stranger who needs assistance. Instead of a self-centered and cynical approach to human suffering, we ought to extend ourselves to them and do whatever is within our power to ameliorate their plight."

No comments: